LEXINGTON, MA (October 3, 2008)
– Continuing to elevate its brand image, Saucony, Inc., a leading global supplier of performance athletic footwear and apparel and a division of The Stride Rite Corporation, today announced the launch of its new brand campaign, “We know … Because we run,” slated to break in national vertical running publications in November 2008. The campaign, which continues to amplify Saucony’s authenticity and emotional connection with runners everywhere, utilizes a multimedia and integrated execution that includes print, online, retail and event initiatives.
“This campaign underscores the exciting momentum in both our footwear and apparel businesses while simultaneously communicating the collective passion and emotional kinship that we share with runners everywhere,” said Mary O’Brien, Saucony’s Vice President of Marketing. “We’re confident that this new platform will be instrumental in Saucony’s continued growth, especially at the run specialty channel, while providing consistency across all consumer touch points,” she added.
Recently, Saucony’s growing momentum has been underlined by key industry awards for both its road and trail products, including: Runner’s World magazine’s “Best Buy” for the ProGrid Jazz 12; Runner’s World magazine’s “Editor’s Choice” for the ProGrid Xodus trail shoe; and Outside magazine’s “The Gear of the Year” for the ProGrid Triumph 5.
The integrated “We know … Because we run” advertising campaign was developed by Mechanica of Newburyport, Massachusetts and includes the following elements:
- - In multiple executions, the print campaign captures many of the defining moments shared by the running community, both as part of the run and as part of those experiences that extend beyond the run. The photographic visual representation of the campaign conveys a documentary feel in keeping with the authenticity of running moments. Accompanying copy captures the fervent mindset of the runner: a mutual perspective that is shared by every runner, on every run, on every day.
The first ad will run during fall marathon season, breaking in the November issues of Runner’s World and Running Times. The copy on this ad reads, “We know 26.2 is the short part. Because we run.” The ProGrid Triumph 6 is featured in the fall campaign. The second ad states, “We know Runs end. But being a runner never stops. Because we run.” This ad will begin running in February 2009 publications and will showcase the ProGrid Guide 2.
To view or download the first ad of the “We know … Because we run” campaign, please visit http://www.saucony.com/images/media/saucony_WeKnow_26pt2.pdf.
- - Saucony’s online media buy will launch with www.runnersworld.com in October 2008 and includes sponsorship of the website’s E-newsletter and Quote of the Day and MileSplit features.
- - Utilizing a similar graphic look with a black background and red copy, Saucony launched its new online initiative, www.saucony.com/weknow on October 1st, 2008, where consumers can enter a contest by submitting their own “We know … Because we run” concept. Prizes include Saucony products and the chance to have their idea used in a future “We know … Because we run” creative execution. The online initiative is designed to serve as an inspirational, motivational and spirited meeting place for the running community.
- - Event sponsorships and retail support programs will reinforce the brand’s new marketing platform. The brand’s expo booth at both the Chicago and New York City Marathons will feature graphics from the first ad and a whiteboard where attendees can write their own “We know” concepts. Campaign graphics will be featured at participating specialty run retailers
The campaign is planned to run throughout 2009, with several new executions for the fall. Saucony will continue to integrate the theme into upcoming marketing initiatives throughout the year.
“Saucony is committed to creating the best shoes and gear on the planet because we are tirelessly devoted to inspiring every runner, on every run, on every day,” said O’Brien. “At Saucony, we run, and we hope this new campaign conveys to runners everywhere that as a community, we never run alone,” she added.
For Media Inquiries: Jeff Lawrence at Mullen: 978-468-8945 firstname.lastname@example.org, or Sharon Barbano at Saucony: 617-824-6126 or email@example.com.
About Saucony, Inc.: Saucony, Inc., a subsidiary of Collective Brands and a division of The Stride Rite Corporation is a leading global supplier of performance athletic footwear and apparel with its widely recognized brands Saucony and Saucony Originals. For more information, go to www.saucony.com.
About Collective Brands, Inc.: Collective Brands, Inc. (NYSE: PSS) is a leader in bringing compelling lifestyle, fashion and performance brands for footwear and related accessories to consumers worldwide. The company operates three strategic units covering a powerful brand portfolio, as well as multiple price points and selling channels including retail, wholesale, ecommerce and licensing. Collective Brands, Inc. includes Payless ShoeSource, focused on
democratizing fashion and design in footwear and accessories through its more than 4,500-store retail chain, with its brands American Eagle™, Airwalk®, Dexter®, Champion® and designer collections Abaeté for Payless, Lela Rose for Payless and alice + olivia for Payless, among others; Stride Rite, focused on lifestyle and athletic branded footwear and high-quality children’s footwear sold primarily through wholesaling, with its brands including Stride Rite®, Keds®, Sperry Top-Sider®, Robeez®, and Saucony®, among others; and Collective Licensing International, the brand development, management and global licensing unit, with such youth lifestyle brands as Airwalk®, Vision Street Wear®, Lamar®, Sims®, LTD®, genetic®, Dukes™, Rage®, Ultra-Wheels®, and Skate Attack®. Information about, and links for shopping on, each of the Collecive Brand’s units can be found at http://www.collectivebrands.com.